25 March 2012

Finding Your Roots on PBS tonight

Tonight marks the return of Henry Louis Gates' forays into family history research on PBS. "Finding Your Roots" debuts on PBS from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. (Central Time). The featured celebrities tonight are Harry Connick, Jr. and Branford Marsalis.

My couch and popcorn are the accompaniments for tonight's show. A big group of area genealogists and I tried to find a restaurant with a TV that would let us eat dinner together and watch the show. One place said we could sit in a private area and watch but they could not turn on the sound! We tried several places without success so we are eating dinner together earlier and then going to our separate homes to watch the show. It would have been nicer to watch as a group while we ate.

Today's Washington Post has a nice article about the show. Click here to read that.

For more on the series visit PBS here. Unfortunately the material under the Resources tab is seriously out-of-date and lacking in vital links such as NGS, FGS, APG, BCG, Cyndi's List, Ancestry, and others. It lists Footnote but that is now Fold3.com. The list doesn't include the New England Historic Genealogical Society. Dr. Gates is a Councilor for NEHGS! It lists Digital Genealogist which has not been published since 2009. It was a great publication.

There is so much out there for continuing education and research in genealogy that I was astounded to see what was under the resources tab. Hopefully PBS will get it updated with the information that I and several of my colleagues have forwarded to them. 

2 comments:

Polly F. Kimmitt said...

I'm surprised at PBS. The obviously need a genealogical advisor, and one who is attentive to detail. I think I'll drop them an email about it, actually. I'm happy to step up if it comes to that! Sheesh!

Still, I'm very much looking forward to the show!

Polly F. Kimmitt said...

Oh that's funny. "The obviously need... attentive to detail." THEY, not the.