For more listings in National Cemeteries and others see Nationwide Gravesite Locator. As that site says, "Search for burial locations of veterans and their family members in VA National Cemeteries, state veterans cemeteries, various other military and Department of Interior cemeteries, and for veterans buried in private cemeteries when the grave is marked with a government grave marker. . . Information on veterans buried in private cemeteries was collected for the purpose of furnishing government grave markers, and we do not have information available for [those] burials prior to 1997."
Many states also have listing online or off that include veterans burials. During the WPA (Works Progress Administration) era of the late 1930s and early 1940s some lists of veterans burials were compiled.
Check these examples for more details. Read the information included with each to learn more about the parameters of the listings. Most clearly state that the details are not comprehensive. These sites do not all have online databases. Other states include Florida, Iowa, and South Dakota. Other places where WPA workers compiled lists of burials did not produce separate veterans and civilian records.
- Minnesota Veterans Graves Registration Index. http://people.mnhs.org/vgri/
- Westchester County, New York: http://collections.westchestergov.com:2009/wcacustom/vetguide.php
- Indiana: http://www.in.gov/icpr/2557.htm
- Johnson County, Kentucky: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyjchs/wpagraves1.html
- Hamilton County, Ohio: http://recordersoffice.hamilton-co.org/helpful_information/cemetery_locations.html