02 January 2011

Generations alive when I was born

When I was born I had these ancestors alive:

Parents: William Earl and Patricia Margaret (Hanley) Stuart
Maternal Grandparents: Maurice Michael and Gertrude Margaret (Cook) Hanley
Paternal Grandparents: Earl James and Olga Theodora (Carlsen) Stuart
Maternal Great Grandparents: John Thomas and Violet (Marie Delia Malvina Daoust/Dow) Cook 
Paternal Great Grandmother: Emma Louise (Slaker) Stuart (widow of Alexander Charles Stuart)

I was 10 when my last great grandparent died, Violet (Marie Delia Malvina Daoust/Dow) Cook. She was 83.
I was 18 when my first grandparent died, Olga Theodora (Carlsen) Stuart. She was 76.
I was 51 when my last grandparent died, Gertrude (Cook) Hanley. She was 98.


When my oldest son was born he had these ancestors alive:
Parents: James William and Paula (Stuart) Warren
Maternal Grandparent: William Earl and Patricia Margaret (Hanley) Stuart
Maternal Great Grandparents: Maurice Michael and Gertrude Margaret (Cook) Hanley
Maternal Great Grandfather: Earl James Stuart (widower of Olga Theodora Carlsen)
Paternal Grandparents: James Henry and Mary Clare (Rowan) Warren
Paternal Great Grandmother: Catherine Fee Rowan (widow of William Rowan)

He was 31 when his last great grandparent died, Gertrude (Cook) Hanley. She was 98.
He was 27 when his first grandparent died, Mary Clare (Rowan) Warren. She was 83.
He was 41 when his last grandparent died, William Earl Stuart. He was 88.

2 comments:

DearMYRTLE said...

DearPAULA,
Thanks for this intriguing blog entry. It prompted me to write Don't cry over broken eggs exploring the thought of what's in our conscious memory about family members.

It is our responsibility as family historians to tell the stories and preserve the traditions of our ancestors, specifically telling first-hand what we remember of the immediate ancestors.

How I wish I had write-ups for earlier generations about my four Civil War soldiers and what their families went through during the war.

Paula Stuart-Warren said...

After reading the your own posting I realized that we think a lot alike about the sharing. I wish someone had done that for me when I was younger.

I was in the midst of several sessions of interviewing my father about WWII when he died. My children and the grandchildren are fortunate to have heard some of his stories. The same goes for my father-in-law sharing things with my children. Though some of those stories have a bit of "wavy" truth.