17 March 2010

My Irish surnames on this St. Patrick's Day

I live in the U.S. but I have ancestral ties to Canada, Denmark, England, France, Ireland, Germany, Scotland, and Sweden but the Irish ancestry is prevelant. They are from several counties in Ireland:

County Kerry (Dingle Peninsula):  Bowler, Fitzgerald, Walsh, Welch (mine ended up in Winona and Ramsey counties in Minnesota; a branch resided in the Boston, Massachusetts area)

County Limerick: Cook, Green, Moriarty/Moriarity (my branch of the  Cooks ended up in Rice and Ramsey counties in Minnesota)

County Tipperary: Hanley (mine ended up in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and Winona and Ramsey counties in Minnesota; a branch ended up in North Dakota)


Unknown county: Saggers (mine ended up in London, England and Rawdon, Quebec, Canada)

And my children have a paternal grandmother with Irish ancestral names including Fee, McCarthy, O'Donnel, O'Donnell, Rowan, and Ryan who ended up in St. Louis, Missouri, Berrien County, Michigan, Winnebago County, Illinois, and Dakota, Rice, and Ramsey counties in Minnesota. Three of my grandchildren have Dougherty Irish blood.

No comments: