19 February 2009

New Danish Historical Atlas Scheduled

On Thursday, February 19th, The Copenhagen Post Online reported that the Danish National Archives has received a grant to create a historical digital atlas of Denmark. This geographic gem will have data as early as the mid 16oos. The project is scheduled to last three years and has several partners as detailed in the article.

The project end result will be "an internet-based GIS (geographic information system) map" with a database of cultural, historical and geographical information. AND it will be free. I am looking forward to this.

My Danish ancestors were mainly in Barritskov[by] in the county of Vejle and my great grandfather [Niels] Christian Carlsen arrived in St. Paul, Minnesota in the early 1880s. His parents were caretakers of a poor farm for many years in Denmark and died there. His brothers also migrated to the U.S. Soren is a mystery, but Alfred's family is still going strong. My cousin Nancy descends from that branch and her late Aunt Anne Carlsen was an amazing woman. I haven't updated my work on this family for many years. One of these days I will get back to my own research instead of doing it for the families of others - but that is what pays the bills and I love doing it.

Chris Carlsen married my Swedish Great Grandmother Betsy Pehrsdatter. He was one of the founders of a Swedish Methodist Church, now known as Arlington Hills United Methodist Church now located just over the St. Paul border into Maplewood. The original location was on Case Avenue near Payne avenue and several blocks from what is still known as Swede Hollow.

No comments: