16 January 2009

The Salt Lake Institute Wraps Up for 2009.

I am back blogging. The past two weeks have been a blur -- but a good blur. The first week was the prepping for teaching at the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy that ended today. The end of SLIG is always a mixed feeling -- happy to be finished and sad to leave all the wonderful students. Course I, an intermediate American records class is the one I coordinate. It includes 17 hours of class room time and 6 hours in the Family History Library for one-on-one consultations and assistance. What an amazing group of people in Course I. Next January I will be back at SLIG. I agreed to once again coordinate the course. Many people have already indicated they will be back next year for Course I which offers different lectures in alternating years. Two of this year's students and I have to figure out if we have common ancestors on the Dingle Peninsula in County Kerry, Ireland. Networking in full force.

I also presented lectures in the Gulf South, Skillbuilding, and Beyond the Library courses. The students in those were also great. These were coordinated by J. Mark Lowe, CG, Thomas Jones, CG, PhD, and John P. Colletta, PhD. Someone encouraged his students to tell me to stand up when I lecture! Russ Lynch was the one to tell me and a Mr. Mark Lowe was the instigator. I can't help that I am height challenged! I share this to tell you that while SLIG is a great place for learning and networking, there are also many light moments.

Watch the Utah Genealogical Association website for details on the 2010 Institute.

No comments: