21 December 2007

Christmas Greetings

Merry Christmas to my readers.

The tree is up, most gifts are purchased, and we have snow on the ground. The stockings are hung on the mantles. The ornaments that mean so much are hanging on the tree. I have ornaments that are not antique but that are getting pretty darn old. I remember purchasing them on sale 40 years ago in California. Then there are the special ornaments that were purchased one at a time with that year's date. Some of my own childhood memories are on the tree as are the kindergarten creations of my children. The inflatable. light-up Christmas penguin is on the front lawn. Christmas penguin? A couple of weeks ago my oldest son came home from a shopping trip and gave me the penquin. Yes, I love penguins.

Christmas is going to be a great time this year. On Christmas Eve I will be with my oldest son and granddaughter, his girfriend and her children. On Christmas Day I will be with my parents at my sister and brother-in-law's home. Their son will be there with his girlfriend. Their daughter will be there with her 1 & 2 year olds. My other sister, her son, my parents' caregivers and their daughter, and other "in-law" family members will join us. By dinner time, my daughter, her husband, and three children will arrive from up north. They will stay at my son's for two days and the kids will have one giant pajama party.

Family. Family changes. New Family Members. "Adopted" family members. All of these will be a part of our Christmas. Along with hugs, kisses, good food, smiles, a few tears, and lots of noise. That makes up the Stuart, Warren, Dougherty, DuBois, & Kerr Christmases. This year we will have the reappearance of the dancing banana. Let's see, who will be the "victim" this time. . .

I hope you have one like this, too. If you don't have family around, check to see if a neighbor will include you in their celebrations or take you to church with them. Offer to bring along something for the brunch or dinner. It will be more fun that way. On the other hand, do you have any relatives, friends, or neighbors who will be alone -- invite them to join you in celebrating.

Did you notice I said nothing about the gifts being wrapped? That's because that is next on my list of things to do. Then I have to figure out what genealogically related gift they are all getting. I will tell you about it later -- otherwise you might not keep the secret.

No comments: